1878 City Hall floor plan


 

Third floor: Originally referred to as the second floor, now the third, this floor housed offices for the City Common Council and the Board of Aldermen. At the time, these bodies would meet separately on either side of the Council Chambers, then come together in the central room (today's City Council Chamber) for debate and city action. This bicameral form of government was reformed in 1940, abolishing the role of aldermen. The Aldermen's Chamber remains as City Hall's primary formal reception room. The City Clerk's Office was also located on this floor where it remains today.