1878 City Hall floor plan


 

Fifth floor: When City Hall opened, the fifth floor housed living quarters for the janitor and his family. They had a kitchen, parlor, two bedrooms and a bath. Today this floor includes a number of city offices, including Archives. Originally, large batteries were stored here to generate electricity for the city-wide fire alarm system and for the operation of the clocks and bells in the building. Someof the original clock mechanism is still in place. Here also is the system to manually extend or retract large oblique flagpoles through the roof of the dome. From here a final suspended spiral iron staircase ascends to the peak of the mansard dome and access to the rooftop's central flagpole.