~Department of Public Works | Bulky Items


Sign up for the City's weekly e-News

Calendar of Events

Contact Us


Monday, October 28, 2013

Bulky Items and Large Appliance Disposal: Frequently Asked Questions

What is a bulky item?

  • Bulky items refer to furniture such as tables, chairs, bureaus, bedside stands, shelves, and other common household furniture. Large appliances are refrigerators, stoves, washer-dryers, water heaters, and air conditioners.

How do I have my large appliances and bulky items picked up?

  • If you are a resident living in a building with 6 or less units, you may call the Waste Management call center at 1-800-972-4545 at least twenty-four hours before your regular trash/recycling collection day to schedule pickup.

What if I live in a building with more than 6 units?

  • Please contact your property owner or property manager to make the appropriate arrangements. Buildings with more than 6 living units are not eligible for municipal trash or recycling service.

How much will it cost to have bulky items collected?

  • There are no additional fees for this service, except mattresses.

How many items can I have collected in one day?

  • You may schedule up to 3 items per unit for service.

Where do I place the bulky items and large appliances for collection?

  • Place your items at the curb in front of your residence beside your Big Green Can and gray trash container. Whenever possible, place your items so as to allow passerby room to use the sidewalk.

At what time do I place the bulky items out for collection?

  • Items should be placed at the curb no earlier than 4 PM the evening before collection and no later than 4 AM the day of collection.

Can the City come into my apartment or property - or into my yard - to remove bulky items and appliances?

  • No. The items must be placed at the curb.

Will I be penalized if I call for one item to be collected and in the morning there are 5 items for collection?

  • Only items scheduled for pickup will be removed. Uncollected items remaining on the curb pose a public nuisance. They will be tagged for removal; failure to remove the items will result in a fine against the owner of the property.

What happens if the item I put out for collection is scavenged before the city arrives to collect it?

  • If the need for service changes, please call 1-800-972-4545 to cancel your appointment.

Can paint, tires, or other items of this kind be put out for service?

  • No. Tires and paint are considered to be hazardous waste. To dispose of paint and other household chemicals, please contact the RI Resource Recovery Corporation to schedule an appointment for pick up at 942-1430. For tire disposal, bring your tires to RI Resource Recovery's small vehicle area. The disposal is $7 per tire.

If someone dumps a couch or other item outside on the curb can I call and report it for collection?

  • Yes.

What about donations?

  • Whenever possible, residents should donate usable furniture, appliances, and other items to local charities, service agencies, and reuse centers.

PVD311 - How may we help you?



Apply for a Board

Most Requested Online Services

Translate ProvidenceRI.com

Bookmark and Share