~Department of Public Works | Rodent Control


Sign up for the City's weekly e-News

Calendar of Events

Contact Us


Rodent Control

Why are rodents a big deal?
Rodents can make people and pets sick. According to the Centers for Disease Control:

"Worldwide, rats and mice spread over 35 diseases. These diseases can be spread to humans directly, through handling of rodents, through contact with rodent feces, urine, or saliva, or through rodent bites. Diseases carried by rodents can also be spread to humans indirectly, through ticks, mites or fleas that have fed on an infected rodent."

Rodents can even damage your home or personal property. Rats and mice burrow holes inside and around the walls and foundations of your home; nest inside walls, closets and other storage areas; and chew and damage delicate electrical wiring.

How do I prevent rodent infestations?

  • Use your Big Green Can (City-issued barrel) and make sure the lid is down at all times. (No overflowing trash is permitted.)
  • Seal up holes inside and outside the home to prevent entry by rodents.
  • Trap rodents around the home to help reduce the rodent population.
  • Clean up any rodent food sources and nesting sites inside or outside of your home. (Helpful tip: Put pet food out only during pet mealtimes and remove promptly!)
  • Seal garages or other outdoor storage areas to prevent rodents from entering.
  • Remove brush and wood piles from your yard and store other unused items in a secure space indoors. These are all attractive nesting areas for rodents.
  • Encourage your neighbors to do the same! Rodents around a neighbor's home can quickly become your problem too if the issue is left unresolved.

I need help with a rat problem outside of my home. How do I get help?
The City offers rat baiting free of charge to Providence residents through the Rodent Control division of Public Works. The following requirements apply for this service:

  • The property must be an occupied, residential building within the City limits.
  • The property owner must sign and return a waiver to authorize baiting.
  • All potential rodent food sources must be removed from the property prior to baiting.Rodent Control cannot bait unoccupied residences (i.e. foreclosed properties); vacant lots, business or commercial buildings of any kind, or service and non-profit organizations (i.e. group homes).

How do I make an appointment?
Please call Rodent Control at the Department of Public Works at 401-467-7950 during normal business hours.

PVD311 - How may we help you?



Apply for a Board

Most Requested Online Services

Translate ProvidenceRI.com

Bookmark and Share