If you are seeking copies of birth, death, or marriage certificates, these are available from the Office of Vital Statistics - 401-421-7740 ext. 701.
Pursuant to Rhode Island General Law 38-2-3(d) the City of Providence hereby adopts the
following procedure for requesting/obtaining public records:
1. A request to inspect and/or copy public records of the City of Providence may be presented orally or in writing to the Public Records Unit at 444 Westminster Street, Suite 220, Providence, RI 02903 during normal business hours (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday) or (401) 680-5333.
2. Although not required, in order to ensure compliance with the Access to Public Records Act and that you are provided with the public records you seek in an expeditious manner, the City asks that you complete the Public Records Request Form. This form is not required if you are seeking records available pursuant to the Administrative Procedures Act or other documents prepared for or readily available to the public.
3. The Access to Public Records Act allows a public body ten (10) business days to respond, unless otherwise extended for good cause in accordance with the provisions of subsection 38-2-3(e). In such instances, a response will be provided within thirty (30) days of receipt of request.
4. If, after review of your request, the City determines that the requested records are exempt from disclosure for a reason set forth in R.I.G.L. 38-2-2(4)(A) through (Y), the City reserves its right to claim such exemption. In the event that you disagree with the City's opinion regarding exemption, you may file a review petition with the chief administrative officer of the department that maintains the records that you seek. If the chief administrative officer affirms the City's position, you may then file a complaint with the Department of Attorney General. You may also file an action for injunctive or declaratory relief in Providence County Superior Court.
5. In accordance with Rhode Island General Law 38-2-4, the City may charge a fee of fifteen cents ($.15) per page for copies and/or fifteen dollars ($15.00) per hour, after the first hour, for search and/or retrieval of documents. Please advise that for purposes of search and retrieval costs, multiple requests made by you within thirty (30) days to the City of Providence shall be considered one (1) request.
6. The City of Providence is not obligated to produce for inspection or copying of records that are not in the possession of the City of Providence. Moreover, the City of Providence is not required to reorganize, consolidate, or compile data that is not maintained by the City of Providence in the form requested.
The City of Providence is committed to providing public records in an expeditious and courteous manner consistent with the Access to Public Records Act.
REQUEST TO INSPECT AND/OR COPY PUBLIC RECORDS FORM
To submit an online request for public records please provide the following information. A valid e-mail address and description of records requested are required.