Providence Highlighted as a National Leader in Youth Tobacco Control
OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF THE CITY OF PROVIDENCE, RHODE ISLAND
Sign up for the City's weekly e-News

Calendar of Events

Contact Us

Directions

Providence Highlighted as a National Leader in Youth Tobacco Control

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Danny McGoldrick, director of national Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, lauds efforts of Mayor Taveras, Providence City Council, Department of Health at downtown rally.


Providence is a national leader in its efforts to keep tobacco out of the hands of children, according to Danny McGoldrick, vice president of research at the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, a national tobacco control group.

McGoldrick traveled to Rhode Island for a rally held this evening in downtown Providence's Burnside Park, where community members gathered to show support for Providence's actions to protect youth from tobacco products. Earlier this year, the Providence City Council passed and Mayor Angel Taveras signed two new tobacco laws that ban the sale of fruit- and candy-flavored tobacco products and the use of tobacco discounts and coupon promotions.

"This is a movement that has inspired other cities and communities across the nation to take action and look to our city as a leader," said Mayor Taveras. "Our efforts may help us one day see a nation in which tobacco is no longer the number one preventable cause of death and disease."

Attendees at the Tobacco-Free Providence event showed support for the city's efforts, holding signs and cheering, as Mayor Taveras, City Council President Michael Solomon and City Council Majority Leader Seth Yurdin spoke to the city's efforts.

"Providence is a national leader in its efforts to keep tobacco out of the hands of children," said McGoldrick. "Research shows that our kids are more likely to try tobacco when it tastes, smells and is packaged like candy, and when it comes at a lower price. Providence has taken proactive steps to address the biggest public health issue that our nation faces."

Tobacco use is a significant public health threat to youth. According to the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, an estimated 23,000 children currently under age 18 and living in Rhode Island today could die prematurely from a smoking-related illness. In addition, an estimated 1,300 Rhode Island under age 18 will become new daily smokers each year.

"The statistics and the research are very clear - nearly 88-percent of all smokers picked up their first cigarette before their 18th birthday," said City Council President Michael Solomon. "As elected officials, we have taken proactive steps to protect our youth from initiating this dangerous, addictive habit."

By effectively addressing tobacco use through environmental changes, cities can make a significant impact on preventing serious health problems, such as heart disease, stroke and cancer, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"The Rhode Island Department of Health is focused on preventing youth from initiating tobacco use and ensuring that everyone is committed to this goal," said Michael Fine, MD, Director of the Rhode Island Department of Health. "We still have children across the state buying or smoking more than two million packs of cigarettes each year. By preventing youth from picking up their first tobacco product, we are drastically reducing their risk of becoming a part of the overwhelming youth tobacco-use statistics."





JOBS AVAILABLE NOW!

ProvConnex - How may we help you?

OPEN DATA PORTAL

Transit Providence | RIPTA

Most Requested Online Services


Translate ProvidenceRI.com



Bookmark and Share

ACCESSIBILITY